1. Mix the first 5 ingredients together, set aside.
2. Mix 1 cup sugar with oil in a large bowl. Stir in eggs and vanilla then apples and nuts, if using. Stir into dry flour ingredients.
3. Pour into greased loaf pan.
4. Bake at 325F for 50-60minutes.
5. After loaf has baked for 20 minutes, remove from oven and spinkle with 1 tsp sugar. Return to oven to finish baking.
6. Do not undercook, requires frequent testing with a toothpick near the end of cookign time.
7. Let cool and remove from pan .. enjoy!